This summer the Benton County Museum will have a new cedar roof! The new historically accurate roof treatment is the most recent endeavor by Benton County Historical Society to preserve the community icon that houses Society offices, museum exhibitions and the Moreland Auditorium. The Philomath College building was built in 1867 with additions dating to 1905 and 1907. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The work began on July 25, 2011, supervised by Allen Nelson, ReConstruction, Inc. of Albany, Oregon, who has performed cupola and window preservation work on the building.
The Society received a timely estate gift in November 2010, which ensures the completion of the project. The Society also received $7,500 from the Kinsman Foundation to help pay for the roof replacement.